Tarantino ‘heartbroken’ by Weinstein allegations

Quentin Tarantino says he is “stunned” and “heartbroken” about the allegations of sexual abuse and harassment surrounding Harvey Weinstein, his friend of 25 years.

The pair have worked together on a number of Hollywood blockbusters.

Weinstein’s studio has produced all of Tarantino’s movies since the 1994 hit Pulp Fiction.

:: .

On Thursday night, he had dinner at a restaurant in Scottsdale, Arizona, according to celebrity website TMZ, which said it was the producer’s last meal out before he checks into rehab.

Video:UK police investigate Weinstein claim

Meanwhile, Cagney and Lacey star Tyne Daly has expressed frustration that many people were acting surprised about the allegations.

The US star said: “I’m sad that people are pretending that this is something extraordinary and new and amazing. ‘Oh how shocking!’ Oh come on.

“There’s a great deal of hypocrisy going on and it makes it harder to sort out the good guys from the bad guys.”

On Friday, actress Nicole Kidman told young actresses to “make sure you are protected”.

She told Magic Radio: “Particularly for a young girl, it’s ‘take care of yourself, make sure you are protected, don’t let anyone break your spirit and be yourself’.”

On the allegations facing Weinstein, she added: “I’ve been working now for well over two decades for UN Women to eradicate violence against women, this is very important right now – we cannot tolerate this behaviour.”

British actress Carey Mulligan said she hoped that speaking openly about the situation would change it.

She said: “Thank God it’s all coming out, it’s horrific. And thank God it’s coming to the fore and these incredible women are feeling brave enough to be able to come forward and say something about it.”

Video:Amazon Studios boss suspended after Rose McGowan says he ignored rape claim

Director Oliver Stone posted on Facebook: “I’ve been travelling for the last couple of days, I’m appalled and commend the courage of the women who’ve stepped forward to report sexual abuse or rape.”

Stone said he would pull out of directing a Guantanamo series “as long as the Weinstein Company is involved”.

He had earlier told reporters at the Busan International Film Festival in South Korea he was a “believer that you wait until this thing gets to trial”.

Multiple Oscar winning actor Tom Hanks criticised Weinstein’s initial apology, in which he claimed his behaviour was the result of growing up in the 1960s and 1970s.

The Forrest Gump star told the New York Times: “Look, I don’t want to rag on Harvey but so obviously something went down there. You can’t buy ‘Oh, well, I grew up in the sixties and seventies and so therefore…’

“I did, too. So I think it’s like, well, what do you want from this position of power? I know all kinds of people that just love hitting on, or making the lives of underlings some degree of miserable, because they can.”

Image:Roy Price with Harvey Weinstein

Meanwhile, Amazon Studios chief Roy Price has been suspended amid claims he “ignored” allegations that Weinstein raped McGowan.

In her posts on Twitter, McGowan claimed she warned Price about the Hollywood producer.

It comes as Price faces a separate allegation from producer Isa Hackett, who claims the Amazon Studio chief inappropriately propositioned her in the back of taxi in 2015.

In a statement, Amazon said it had placed Price on a leave of absence effective immediately.